Last night ABC aireed the 40th anniversary of the AMA’s. The ambience was nostalgic with a few celebratory moments. Our editor breaks it down with simple pluses and minuses. Here are the highs and lows of last night’s AMA’s.
- Love Usher, but he sounded out of breath in that performance and just…tired :(
- Justin Beiber talking to his “haters”. Boy, just accept your award graciously and sit down!
+ Love the flashbacks from the earlier AMA years. The one from 1975 with Michael Jackson introducing his little sister Janet was my favorite.
+ Kelly Clarkson has an unwavering voice. She’s an original firecracker.
- I admire Taylor Swift trying to finally change up her performances, but all her songs are starting to sound the same to me. Surprise us Taylor!
+ Ginnifer Goodwin stepped onstage to present and her dress…ENCHANTING!
+ Usher’s moment of sincerity while fumbling during his acceptance for Soul/R&B Male was funny and cute.
+ Nicki put the theatrics aside and just rapped. She reminded us that she does have a raw talent.
+ Pink’s performances are always ARTful, different and go that extra mile. Who else could sing live while hanging upside down, dancing real modern dance choreography and lighting our flames with such a vivid set. Bravo Pink, BRAVO!
- It’s a new era and there a new AMA’s Electronic music award – David Guetta won.
+ Carrie Underwood is bad ass!
- Seeing all the past AMA clips of Whitney Houston showing her evolution was nice, but too short to be considered a tribute.
- Swizz Beatz, Chris Brown and Ludacris are three small men who brought a lot of energy to the stage to sing happy birthday to the AMA’s. Did they say “Now dance like a White girl”?! Bwahaha
- Little girls love Beiber so I’m not going to try to understand the appeal, but Nicki popping her booty in front of him just seemed wrong (and yes, I know he’s legal but it still looked weird).
+ From one great to another ---> Stevie Wonder’s medley tribute to Dick Clark.
+ Justin Beiber taking his mom onstage for his Artist of The Year award was unexpected and sweet.
+ Psy‘s Gangnam Style was a fun way to end the night. Everyone was up and out of their chairs, but the celebs were a bit too embarrassed ‘til MC Hammer joined him to pipe in with Too Legit To Quit. Once that happened they gave in and the AMA’s ended on a light party note.